Brig. Gen. Case A. Cunningham is the Commander, 18th Wing, Kadena Air Base, Japan. The 18th Wing, the largest combat wing in the U.S. Air Force, provides the Commander, U.S. Pacific Command, trained and equipped tactical air superiority forces; combat search and rescue forces; command and control platforms; aeromedical evacuation capability; and global mobility resources for contingency operations. The wing flies the F-15C, KC-135, HH-60 and E-3 aircraft. Additionally, the wing provides the 5th Air Force Commander a responsive, staging and operational air base with integrated, deployable, forward-based air power.
General Cunningham is a 1994 graduate from the U.S. Air Force Academy. He was the Vice Commander of the 451st Air Expeditionary Wing at Kandahar, Afghanistan, and the Commander/Leader of the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron, the “Thunderbirds.” He also served as the Director of Operations of the formal F-22 training squadron and as an F-15C USAF Weapons School instructor pilot. Prior to his current position, he was the Commander of the 432nd Wing and 432nd Air Expeditionary Wing at Creech Air Force Base, Nevada.
General Cunningham is a command pilot with over 3,200 hours in the F-15C/D, F-22A, F-16C/D, MC-12W and MQ-9, including over 600 combat hours in three different aircraft types in multiple areas of operation.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Political Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1999 USAF Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2006 Master of Arts, National Security Studies, American Military University
2006 Master of Science, Strategic Leadership, AF Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
2007 Master of Airpower Art and Science, School of Advanced Air & Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 Air University Lorenz Fellowship, Las Vegas, Nev.
2013 Doctor of Philosophy, Military Strategy, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1.June 1994 - January 1996, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese AFB, Texas
2.February 1996 - March 1996, Student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3.March 1996 - October 1996, Student, F-15C Replacement Training Unit, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
4.October 1996 - June 1999, F-15C Instructor Pilot, 19th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
5.July 1999 - December 1999, Student, F-15C USAF Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6.January 2000 - May 2002, Chief of Weapons, Flight Commander, 27th Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
7.June 2002 - November 2004, Assistant Operations Officer, Flight Commander, 433rd Weapons Squadron,USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8.December 2004 - May 2005, Aide-de-Camp to the Commander, Air Warfare Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. June 2005 - June 2006, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. July 2006 - June 2007, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. July 2007 - January 2008, Student, F-22A qualification training, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
12. February 2008 - June 2009, Director of Operations, 43rd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
13. July 2009 - October 2009, Student, F-16 qualification training, Luke AFB, Ariz.
14. January 2010 - January 2012, Commander/Leader, USAFADS “Thunderbirds”, Nellis AFB, Nev.
15. January 2012 - June 2012, Student, Air University Lorenz Fellowship, Las Vegas, Nev.
16. July 2012 - July 2013, Vice Commander, 451st Air Expeditionary Wing, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan
17. August 2013 - June 2015, Special Assistant to the Director and USAF Operational Liaison, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
18. June 2015 – July 2017, Commander, 432nd Wing and 432nd Air Expeditionary Wing, Creech AFB, Nev.
19, July 2017 – Present, Commander, 18th Wing, Kadena AB, Japan
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 2013 - June 2015, Special Assistant to the Director and USAF Operational Liaison, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, as a colonel
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,200
Aircraft flown: F-15C/D, F-22A, F-16C/D, MC-12W and MQ-9
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1994
First Lieutenant June 1, 1996
Captain June 1, 1998
Major July 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2008
Colonel July 1, 2012
Brigadier General Frocked
(Current as of July 2017)