Colonel Scott Rowe is the commander of the 18th Operations Group, 18th Wing, Kadena Air Base, Japan. He commands nearly 900 people in nine squadrons and 80 F-15, KC-135, HH-60, and E-3 aircraft valued at more than $4 billion. The 18th Operations Group performs all 18th Wing flying, as well as aeromedical and combat rescue missions, in support of U.S. and allied interests. As the commander of the 18th Expeditionary Operations Group, Col Rowe commands more than 300 people in three squadrons and four aircraft which perform daily Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance missions.
Colonel Rowe is a 1998 graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. He is a distinguished graduate of the United States Air Force Weapons School. Col Rowe has served in the F-15C weapon system as an instructor pilot, flight examiner, weapons officer, flight commander, assistant director of operations, director of operations and commander. Prior to his current position, he was an Air Force Fellow at Georgetown University’s Institute for the Study of Diplomacy where he taught graduate and undergraduate studies in the School of Foreign Service.
Colonel Rowe is a command pilot with more than 3,100 flying hours in the F-15 C/D, T-38 and T-37.
1998 Bachelor of Science degree in management, United States Air Force Academy, CO.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL.
2007 USAF Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, NV
2009 Master of Military Arts and Science, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL.
2009 Air Command and Staff College in correspondence 2011 U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, KS.
2012 Air War College in correspondence
2016 Air Force Fellow, Institute for the Study of Diplomacy, Georgetown University, Washington DC
1. November 1998 – November 1999, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, MS.
2. November 1999 – February 2003, T-37 Instructor Pilot, Executive Officer, Flight Commander, 37th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, MS.
3. July 2003 – February 2004, Student, F-15C Fighter Training Unit, 2nd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, FL.
4. February 2004 – October 2006, F-15C Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, Chief of Advanced Programs, 60th Fighter Squadron, Eglin AFB, FL.
5. October 2006 – October 2008, Instructor Pilot, Weapons Officer, 422nd Test and Evaluation Squadron, Nellis AFB, NV.
6. October 2008 – June 2010, Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner, Assistant Director of Operations, Chief of Wing Weapons and Tactics, 19th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, AK.
7. June 2010 – October 2011, Student, General Command and Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, KS.
8. October 2011 – July 2013, Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner, Director of Operations, 44th Fighter Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan.
9. July 2013 – June 2015, Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner, Commander, 44th Fighter Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan.
10. June 2015 – June 2016, Air Force Fellow, Georgetown University, Washington DC
11. June 2016 –May 2018 Vice Chief, Office of Military Cooperation – Kuwait, U.S. Embassy, Kuwait City, Kuwait
12. June 2018 – Present, Commander, 18th Operations Group, Kadena AB, Japan
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2016 – May 2018, Vice Chief, Office of Military Cooperation-Kuwait, U.S. Embassy, Kuwait City, Kuwait, as a colonel
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,100
Aircraft flown: F-15C, A/T-38B, T-38, T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 27 May 1998
First Lieutenant 27 May 2000
Captain 27 May 2002
Major 1 October 2007
Lieutenant Colonel 1 December 2011
Colonel 1 May 2017
(Current as of June 2018)