The Legal Office provides free legal assistance regarding personal civil legal matters to eligible beneficiaries, including active duty or retired military members and their dependents. Examples of personal civil legal matters include: adoption, dependent care, financial responsibility, domestic relations, Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA), veterans reemployment rights, landlord-tenant, and casualty affairs.
The highest priority is given to active duty personnel who need mobilization- or deployment-related legal assistance. Legal assistance attorneys can provide legal advice, conduct general review of documents, draft correspondence, and assist clients in preparing forms. Legal assistance attorneys cannot, however, represent clients in any court or administrative proceedings or draft or file legal documents with a court.
To qualify for Legal Assistance you must have a valid military identification card and fall into one of the following categories:
1. Active Duty military members and their dependents.
2. Reserve and Guard members who are on active duty and their dependents.
3. Retired military members and their dependents. If you are a retired reservist or guardsman or a dependent of one of them, you must be receiving retirement pay to be eligible for service. Please note that you must have a military ID card to be eligible.
4. Civilian employees of the Department of Defense and the military departments assigned outside the United States and its territories and dependents residing with them.
5. Select civilian contractor personnel who are assigned outside the United States and its territories and dependents residing with them. (Please note, some legal assistance will be limited). In addition to our normal customer service we offer the following weekly briefings:
Walk-In Legal Assistance By appointment only.To make an appointment, call DSN 634-3300 or (098) 961-3300/3309.
Wills (By appointment only) Tuesday 1-2 p.m.
Legal assistance attorneys can prepare wills and advance medical directives, including living wills and medical powers of attorney. If you are deploying, we will attempt to accommodate you outside of these hours. For those seeking wills, go to the Air Force Legal Assistance Website, https://aflegalassistance.law.af.mil, complete the online worksheet, record the ticket number and call our office to schedule an appointment. When calling, please make sure to have your ticket number readily available.
Powers of Attorney & Notary Service Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4 p.m.
If you need a Power of Attorney (POA), please visit the Air Force Legal Assistance Website at https://aflegalassistance.law.af.mil and complete a worksheet for faster service. Members can also use the website to access numerous legal information, legal worksheets for wills, and to provide feedback on their legal office experience.
Other Services In addition to our normal customer service we offer the following weekly briefings: Reenlistment Brief: Tuesdays at 10 a.m. SOFA Brief: Wednesdays at 3 p.m. Pre-Marriage Brief: Thursdays at 10 a.m. Will need passport or birth certificate. Please, call prior to attending.Pre-Divorce Brief: Thursdays at 2 p.m.
Tax Season is here!! Free tax preparation by trained volunteers is offered at the Kadena Tax Center, Bldg. 753 on Fisher Ave (off Douglas Blvd, next to the Fire Station).
Tax Season Office Hours:
(0-3 and below, and active-duty only)
By appointment only.
To make a tax appointment, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mon, Tues & Wed 1500-1600 (Appointments are available)
Drop off any time the tax center is open
Closed for lunch daily 1130-1300.
Closed holidays and PACAF family days: 17, 18 February & 25, 26 May 2020.
Appointments by availability, call 634-5013
Bring in the following required documentation to complete your tax return:
- DOD/military identification card
- Power of Attorney (if electronic filing on behalf of your spouse)
- Social Security Card(s)
- Bank routing and account number(s)
- Form W-2 (from all employers); 1099-R (from pensions and annuities)
- Form 1099-INT (interest earned); 1099-DIV (dividends earned)*
- Form 1099-B (Sale of stocks/mutual funds)*
- IRA contributions*
- Rental property (includes total income, mortgage interest, taxes, insurance)*
- Child care cost/providers receipt*
- Form 1098-T and education related expenses*
- Foreign employer’s information (name, address, amount earned)*
- Copy of your 2018 Federal and State Income Tax Return
* If applicable
Don't have time to wait? We offer a drop off service (AM only). Just bring in all your tax documents and we will call you when your tax return is ready for review.